The Department of Anesthesia at Jefferson Health – Northeast in Philadelphia is composed of physicians and nurses specially trained and board certified in the area of medicine that is dedicated to providing pain relief. We are involved in the care of the surgical patient before, during and after the procedure.
- Before Surgery: We medically evaluate the patient, discuss individual concerns and consult with the surgical team in order to determine the best type of anesthetic to deliver.
- During Surgery: We administer the proper medications to provide pain control, relieve anxiety and support vital functions.
- After Surgery: We supervise postoperative care, ensure adequate pain control and recovery from anesthetic medications.
Our staff is present at each campus 24 hours per day every day of the year. We also provide these specialized services:
- Obstetrical Anesthesia — Each year our physicians administer thousands of epidural anesthetics to alleviate pain and anxiety associated with labor and delivery.
- Trauma Center — Our doctors or nurses actively participate in all cases referred to the Torresdale Trauma Center.
- Open Heart Surgery — Specially trained anesthesiologists participate in the care of patients in our Heart Center.
- Pain Management — Our staff is available to consult with other physicians in the management of postoperative pain. In addition, patients with chronic pain may be referred to our Pain Management Center.