Jefferson Health Northeast

null

Our History

Early Beginnings

Jefferson Frankford Hospital Exterior Photo

The story of Jefferson Health — Northeast begins in 1902, when a resident of the Frankford section of Philadelphia contracted typhoid fever. The patient's physician, Dr. Joseph Ball, couldn’t find a single hospital in the city to admit his seriously ill patient. 

When Dr. Ball learned other Northeast physicians were also having their patients turned away, he began an effort to establish a community hospital that would provide convenient, high-quality medical care to his neighbors.

Named after the neighborhood it would first serve, Frankford Hospital — Frankford (now Jefferson Frankford Hospital) opened its doors on July 4, 1903.

In the decades that followed, Frankford expanded upon Dr. Ball’s founding vision. For over a century, the hospital introduced many new services to better meet the health needs of its growing communities.

As the hospital’s service area grew and flourished, Frankford responded by opening a second site in 1977. Almost immediately, Frankford Hospital — Torresdale (Jefferson Torresdale Hospital) was operating at full capacity, meeting the healthcare needs of families from the Northeast and Bucks County.

When many families Frankford Hospital had been serving for generations began relocating to Bucks County in the 1980s and 1990s, the hospital again sought better ways to serve them. In March 1999, Frankford acquired Delaware Valley Medical Center and turned it into its third inpatient site: Frankford Hospital — Bucks County, now known as Jefferson Bucks Hospital.

To reflect an expanded, regional vision for health care service delivery in Northeast Philadelphia and Bucks County, Frankford Hospital changed its name to Aria Health in May 2009.

Today, Jefferson Health – Northeast’s focus on its founding philosophy is clearer than ever before with the addition of Jefferson’s Mission, Vision, and Values. Our physicians, nurses and support personnel provide advanced medicine and personal care at three modern inpatient facilities and three outpatient sites – all of which are equipped with highly sophisticated technology.